Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

remember

For those of you who don't know, I work in television and I eventually want to make the move into working in scripted television and then for films. I think this passion stemmed from my desire to create and make and be. However, after growing up and taking off the rose-colored glasses I'm realizing that this industry is driven by money. People don't want to create, make, and be. They want to make money and beat competitors. 

There was a recent article I read that stated that the Universal Studio Chief stated,  
"your first obligation is to make money and then worry about being proud of what you do." (via here)
This breaks me heart and I hear this repeatedly from coworkers and from people around me in the Hollywood industry. We're all so focused on the initial gross, the paycheck, and the bottom line that we forget about heart, joy, and passion. I include myself in this group because I get sucked into that same school of thought. I constantly forget what it means to have integrity, dignity, honor, and love. 

This weekend I went away to the mountains and I came back down refreshed and renewed. I need to constantly remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing. I need to remind myself that I have something (someone) greater than a dollar sign followed by lots of zeros. I need to stop selling myself to this world and I need to devote myself to the ultimate Creator.